The Program in Biology coordinates the hiring of all GSI positions for the Biology, EEB, and MCDB courses that require teaching assistance. 70-100 GSIs are hired each full term to assist instructors with various introductory, mid- and upper-level courses in the biological sciences. A smaller number are hired in the spring and summer half-terms.
GSIs work closely with the instructor(s) on all facets of the course in order to help meet student needs. Familiarity with the subject matter covered in the course is assumed. Duties will vary with the course, but may include the following:
- Leading individual sections of discussions or labs
- Assisting with the development of lessons or exams
- Proctoring and grading assignments, quizzes and exams
- Meeting individually with students in office hours or tutoring sessions
- Meeting with fellow instructors to prepare/review course material
Applications open twice per year (October for winter, Mid-February for fall, spring, and summer). Biology hires many outside unit GSIs. However, preference is given to in-unit students when making initial placements. First-round offers are made 1-2 weeks after the application deadline, but second-round position offers are rolling as new positions open and/or enrollments change.