Johannes Foufopoulos, PhD, focuses his lab research on fundamental conservation biology questions and on issues related to the ecology and evolution of infectious diseases. Major research projects examine how habitat fragmentation, invasive organisms and global climate change result in species extinction. Other projects address questions regarding the impact of diseases on wildlife populations and the environmental causes leading to disease emergence.
- 2015: Experiential Learning Fund. University of Michigan International Institute. ‘Sustainability in Mediterranean Ecosystems’ ($9,700)
- 2014: Experiential Learning Fund. University of Michigan International Institute. ‘Sustainability in Mediterranean Ecosystems’ ($9,900)
- 2014: University of Michigan Spring Summer Fellowship ($10,000)
- 2013: Experiential Learning Fund. University of Michigan International Institute. ‘Sustainability in Mediterranean Ecosystems’ ($9,500)
- 2013: University of Michigan Transforming Learning Program. ‘Student visitation to Matthaei Botanical Gardens’ (w. Prof. Robert Grese and 7 other PIs) ($19,500)
- Cleveland Dodge Fellowship Dodge Foundation (1999-2002).
- White Lady’s-Slipper Award -Society for Conservation Biology-Aldo Leopold Chapter (1998).
- Davis Summer Fellowship University of Wisconsin Graduate School (1994).
- Graduate Student Fellowship Zoological Society of Milwaukee County (1994).
- Gaige Award American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (1994).
Slavenko, A., Itescu, Y., Foufopoulos, J., Pafilis, P., and Meiri, S. 2015. Clutch size variability in an ostensibly fix-clutched lizard: effects of insularity on a Mediterranean gecko. Evolutionary Biology. 42(2):129-136. DOI 10.1007/s11692-015-9304-0
OConnor, D., Butt, B., and J. Foufopoulos. 2015. Foraging ecologies of giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis reticulata) and camels (Camelus dromedarius) in northern Kenya: Effects of habitat structure and possibilities for competition? African Journal of Ecology. 53(2): 183–193. DOI: 10.1111/aje.12204
Brock*, K., Bednekoff, P., Pafilis*, P., and J. Foufopoulos. 2015. Evolution of antipredator defenses in island lizard species Podarcis erhardii (Reptilia: Lacertidae). The sum of all fears? Evolution. 69(1): 216-231. DOI:10.1111/evo.12555.
Li*, B., Bednekoff, P., Belasen*, A., Pafilis*, P. and J. Foufopoulos. 2014. Effects of feral cats on the evolution of antipredator behaviors in island reptiles: insights from an ancient introduction. Proceedings of the Royal Society B (in press).
Murdock*, C. Foufopoulos, J. and C.P. Simon. 2013. A transmission model for the ecology of an avian blood parasite in a temperate ecosystem. PLoS ONE, 8(9): e76126.
Read more publications here.
- Testifier- Michigan Senate on SB 78: Biodiversity management and ecosystem services
- Panel Reviewer – National Science Foundation (2011).
- Interviewer - Fulbright Interview Committee (2007, 2011).