Associate Research Scientist Kathy Bergen, PhD, works in the areas of human dimensions of environmental change; remote sensing, GIS and biodiversity Informatics; and environmental health and informatics. Her focus is on combining field and geospatial data and methods to study the pattern and process of ecological systems, biodiversity and health. She also strives to build bridges between science and social science to understand the implications of human actions on the social and natural systems of which we are a part.
- USDA Forest Service: SNRE Forest Properties: Forest Research, Data Sharing and Outreach. PI Kathleen Bergen. 2015-2017.
- NASA: LCLUC Synthesis: Ecosystem-Society Interactions on a Changing Mongolian Plateau. PI Jiquan Chen. 2014-2017.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. From Clinic to Community: Achieving Health Equity in Southern United States. PI Califf, Robert. 2012-2015.
- NASA: LCLUC SYNTHESIS: Forested Land Cover and Land Use Change in the Far East of the Northern Eurasia Under the Combined Drivers of Climate and Socio-Economic Transformation. PI Kathleen Bergen. 2012-2017.
- UM Center for Russian and East European Studies (CREES), faculty Research Associate, 2000-present
- Invited member: NASA Headquarters DESDynI Ecology Science Study Team, 2008-2012
- Recipient of the 1986 SLA Geography & Map Division Bulletin Award(for best article pub. in the Bulletin)
- Gamma Theta Upsilon Geography Honor Society. Western Illinois University chapter; Beta Phi Mu Information Science Honor Society. University of Illinois chapter; Xi Sigma Pi Forestry Honor Society, University of Michigan chapter.
- Bergen, K., Hitztaler, S., Kharuk, S., Krankina, O., Loboda, T., Zhao, T., Shugart, H., Sun, G. 2013. Human Dimensions of Environmental Change in Siberia. Chapter 7 in G. Gutman and P. Groisman, editors, Regional Environmental Changes in Siberia and Their Global Consequences. New York, Springer. 357 pp.
- Hitztaler, S. and K. Bergen. 2013. Mapping Resource Use over a Russian Landscape: An Integrated Look at Harvesting of a Non-Timber Forest Product in Central Kamchatka. Environmental Research Letters, 8: 045020.
- Bergen, K. M., S. J. Goetz, R. O. Dubayah, G. M. Henebry, C. T. Hunsaker, M. L. Imhoff, R. F. Nelson, G. G. Parker, and V. C. Radeloff. 2010. Remote Sensing of Vegetation 3-D Structure for Biodiversity and Habitat: Review and Implications for Lidar and Radar Spaceborne Missions. Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Bergen, K., Zhao, T., Kharuk, V., Blam, Y., Brown, D. Peterson, L., Miller, N. 2008. Changing Regimes: Forested Land-Cover Dynamics in Central Siberia 1974-2001. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 74:787-798.
- Luguang J., K. Bergen, D. Brown, Q. Tian, Q. Shuhua, T. Zhao, 2008. Land-Cover Change and Vulnerability to Flooding near Poyang Lake, Jiangxi Province, China. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 74: 775-786.
NASA Headquarters DESDynI Ecology Science Study Team (2008-2012).
Workshop Organizing Committee, NASA Vegetation 3D Structure and Biomass (2007- 2008).
NASA DESDYNI (space sensor data and mission) planning committees (2006- Present).
There is no content at this time