Natural Resources & Environment and Urban and Regional Planning (M.S. and M.U.R.P.)


The dual degree program confers the Master of Science (M.S.) degree from the School for Environment and Sustainability and the Master of Urban and Regional Planning (M.U.R.P.) degree from the College of Architecture and Urban Planning. The program provides students with the analytical skills, theoretical and scientific foundation, and socio-behavioral understanding to become effective practitioners. Potential career fields include, but are not limited to, environmental or land use planning, open space preservation, environmental policy analysis, and environmental justice.

How to apply

Rackham Graduate School Guidelines allow dual degree students to double-count one sixth of the total credits normally required to complete both programs. Students may integrate the 48 credit-hour M.U.R.P program with the 42 credit-hour M.S. program (totaling 90 credit-hours) into a 75 credit-hour/three year program, with 15 credits double-counted. The student must still meet all the basic requirements of each program, which are summarized below.

School for Environment and Sustainability Requirements

  • At least 25 EAS credits
  • Fulfill field of study core and the EAS core course requirements
  • Two analytics courses (one must be statistics)
  • integrative master's opus

Urban and Regional Planning Requirements

  • At least 30 MURP credits
  • A course in economics (EAS 570 fulfills this requirement.)
  • URP 504 Introduction to Statistics (EAS 538 fulfills this requirement. Fulfills NRE analytics requirement.)
  • URP 505 or 506 Planning Methods (Fulfills EAS analytics requirement.)
  • URP 507 Fundamentals of Planning Practice Techniques
  • URP 502 or 503 Planning and Institution and Law
  • URP 500 or 501 Planning Theory
  • URP 510 Fiscal Planning and Management
  • A Capstone experience-- planning studio, thesis, or professional project (Might fulfill SEAS Master's opus requirement. Likewise, SEAS Master's opus might be used to fulfill MUP capstone requirement.)

New applicants must submit an application to both the School for Environment and Sustainability:

Graduate Admissions
440 Church Street
1520 Dana Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1041
Phone: (734)764-6453

and the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning:

2000 Bonisteel Blvd. Room 2150
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2069
Phone: (734) 763-1275

Master of Urban and Regional Planning (M.U.R.P.)

Students must meet the admissions standards of and be admitted by both units.If the student is currently enrolled in a Rackham program she/he must complete the "Add a Degree Application" form and submit it with the other application documents. This form can be found here. Before graduation, form 6010 Dual Degree Course Elections must be completed to verify completion of requirements and minimum hours.

Launching your career

Examples of job titles:

  • Transportation Planner
  • Environmental Planner
  • City Park Designer
  • City Planner
  • Wetlands Restoration
  • Stormwater Manager
  • Planning Analyst
  • Environmental Planning Consultant

SEAS Career Services
Taubman College Career Services