Financial Aid

A variety of resources exist to help finance your graduate degree and support you as a continuing student. Funding exists in the following forms:

  • One time, partial tuition scholarships (not all students will receive these) offered at the time of admission 

  • Potential salary support for professional internships

  • Honors Awards recognizing outstanding achievements in specific areas

  • Travel support for presentations at conferences, symposia and professional development meetings

  • Funds to cover travel-related to master’s projects, practica, or theses

Applying for external funding (see database link below) is strongly encouraged. Due to limited funding sources, we are unable to offer partial tuition scholarships to meet the full demonstrated need of all of our students.

Getting Started

Your application to SEAS serves as your application for our recruitment tuition grants. These are competitive, merit-based, non-renewable grants. The majority of financial recruitment offers each academic year will be made by mid-March. Additional funding opportunities from SEAS and U-M will be available after you accept admission.

The links below, including the SEAS Funding Database, are meant to help you find funding opportunities. You can expand your search by visiting Fastweb, Pivot, SPIN, or another clearinghouse for student-centered grants.



Categories of Aid

Fellowships/Scholarships Payments to the student that need not be repaid.
Loans Payments to the student that must be repaid with interest. They are offered through the United States government and private lenders.
GSA Student Employment

May include full-tuition waiver, health and dental benefits, and a monthly stipend. There are three types of appointments:

  1. Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) provides instruction in courses designed and supervised by faculty. Appointments are for one term. Time commitment varies by department and course.
  2. Graduate Student Research Assistant (GSRA) works on funded research projects under faculty supervision. Most appointments are for one term.
  3. Graduate Student Staff Assistant (GSSA) completes administrative assignments under supervision of faculty or staff. Appointments are for one term.

Of the SEAS Master’s May 2020 graduates, 48% secured a GSI/GSRA appointment at some point during their college program at SEAS. 
It is not typical for an incoming student to receive a GSA appointment within SEAS their first year. Many of the SEAS graduate-level courses require that you’ve taken the course before being appointed as a GSI. The likelihood increases the longer you’re here.

Student Hourly Employment  This includes 1) hourly part-time work; 2) work study, which is partially funded by the federal government. To qualify, students must have a work study allocation as part of their funding package. International students are not eligible. Check with SEAS faculty regarding hourly employment.

International Students

Additional resources: