As you compile a list of potential environmental or other graduate programs, pay special attention to funding opportunities offered by your potential graduate school and look for additional resources elsewhere. If you have questions, contact your program of interest.
You’ll want to know:
- What does the funding package cover (e.g., stipend, tuition, etc)?
- How many years of funding do you provide? Are there any restrictions or conditions?
- Do health benefits extend to my partner? What do the health benefits include?
- Does your university offer assistance for students with children?
- Do you offer travel funds for conferences or research?
- Do you offer emergency funds?
- Does your program offer a moving allowance?
In addition to possibly providing money for school, applying for external fellowships strengthens your application. It tells the application committee you’re driven, independent, and committed.
- Specialized scholarship programs
- Scholarships for minority students
- Scholarships for international students
- Scholarship search websites
REVIEW YOUR ESTIMATED COSTS AND EXPENSES
As a way for you to establish a budget for attending graduate school, please look for the estimated cost of attendance information on university websites to help with financial planning. International students must provide documentation that they have adequate financial resources to cover these expenses while in the U.S.
FUNDING SUPPORT FOR SEAS GRADUATE STUDENTS
The University of Michigan School for Environment and Sustainability PhD program provides five academic years of tuition support (four pre-candidate semesters and six candidate semesters), along with Gradcare health insurance, which covers five school years and four summers. You will also receive a monthly stipend from September through April, as well as a lump-sum stipend for the summer months.
Various funding opportunities are available for SEAS Master of Science (MS) and Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) students. An overview of these funding opportunities can be found on this page.