The Kalamazoo Nature Center (Kalamazoo, MI) manages a 1500-acre interpretive center and several other properties in Kalamazoo and Barry Counties. KNC’s decade-old land management plan (LMP) needed an update to accurately reflect the organization’s current properties and management philosophies. Our goal was to develop a new, reader-friendly LMP with fresh data and information about many of KNC’s outlying properties. We gathered information through three summertime field sessions, formal surveys and informal conversations with KNC staff, and independent research. Our investigation resulted in a comprehensive, accessible LMP for KNC and a guide for other agencies seeking to develop their own LMPs.
- Karl Bosse, MS Environmental Informatics
- Kate Chapel, MS Conservation Ecology
- Jiawei Huang, MS Environmental Informatics
- Geneva Langeland, MS Environmental Policy and Planning/Behavior, Education and Communication
- Bo Li, MS Conservation Ecology