Error messageWarning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in _registry_check_code() (line 3478 of /afs/umich.edu/group/natres/snreits/drupal/includes/bootstrap.inc).
Dima Beletsky, PhD, has been with the SEAS Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research (CIGLR), a joint Institute between the University of Michigan and NOAA, since 1995. His research expertise lies in the hydrodynamics of lakes and coupling lake physics with biological processes. Since the beginning of his career in limnology in Russia, he has worked on hydrodynamics and climatology of several large lakes in Europe (Ladoga and Onega), North America (Lake Champlain, Lake St. Clair, Lakes Michigan, Erie, Ontario and Huron), and the Baltic Sea.
- Circulation and thermodynamics of the Great Lakes
- Hydrodynamics of harmful algal blooms
- Operational Lake Erie hypoxia forecasting
- Microplastics transport in the Great Lakes
- Forecasting spread of aquatic invasive species from multiple pathways to improve management and policy in the Great Lakes
Scientific Achievement Award, CILER, University of Michigan (2007).
Outstanding Scientific Paper Award, NOAA Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (2006).
Best Scientific Paper Award, NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (2004).
Chandler-Misener Award, International Association for Great Lakes Research (2008, 2015).
AGU Editor’s Highlight paper (2012).
- Beletsky, D., R. Beletsky, E. S. Rutherford , J.L. Sieracki, J. M. Bossenbroek, W. L. Chadderton, M. E. Wittmann, G. M. Annis and D. M. Lodge. 2017. Predicting spread of aquatic invasive species by lake currents. . J. Great Lakes Res. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0380133017300291
Beletsky, D., N. Hawley, Y.R. Rao. 2013. Modeling summer circulation and thermal structure of Lake Erie. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 118, doi: 10.1002/2013JC008854
Beletsky, D., N. Hawley, Y.R. Rao, H. A. Vanderploeg, R. Beletsky, D. J. Schwab and S.A. Ruberg. 2012. Summer thermal structure and anticyclonic circulation of Lake Erie, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L06605, doi:10.1029/2012GL051002.
Beletsky, D. and D.J. Schwab. 2008. Climatological circulation in Lake Michigan. Geophys. Res. Letters. 35, L21604, doi:10.1029/2008GL035773.
Beletsky, D., D. Mason, D.J. Schwab, E. Rutherford, J. Janssen, D. Clapp, and J. Dettmers. 2007. Biophysical model of larval yellow perch advection and settlement in Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 33, 842-866.
Beletsky,D., D.J. Schwab, and M.J. McCormick. 2006. Modeling 1998-2003 summer circulation and thermal structure in Lake Michigan. J.Geophys. Res., 111, C10010, doi:10.1029/2005JC00322.
Member, CILER Council of Fellows (2011-2016)