Peter M. Wege Endowed Professor of Sustainable Systems; Director, Center for Sustainable Systems
PhD, University of Michigan (chemical engineering)
MSE, University of Michigan (chemical engineering)
BSE, University of Michigan (chemical engineering)
BS, University of Michigan (chemistry)
Dr. Keoleian co-founded and serves as director of the Center for Sustainable Systems. His research focuses on the development and application of life cycle models and metrics to enhance the sustainability of products and technology. He has pioneered new methods in life cycle design, life cycle optimization of product replacement, life cycle cost analysis and life cycle based sustainability assessments ranging from energy analysis and carbon footprints to social indicators. Systems studied include alternative vehicle technology, renewable energy systems such as wind farms, photovoltaics and willow biomass electricity, buildings and infrastructure, information technology, food and agricultural systems, household appliances, and packaging alternatives.
Professor Keoleian currently teaches interdisciplinary graduate courses on Sustainable Energy Systems and Industrial Ecology and co-directs the Engineering Sustainable Systems Dual Degree Program and the Rackham Graduate Certificate Program in Industry Ecology.
- 2012 – 2016: G.A. Keoleian, J. Kelly, M.R. Moore, S. Adlerstein-Gonzalez. Advancing Offshore Wind Power Siting through Multi-criteria Assessment Integration. National Science Foundation. $299,933.
- 2012 – 2017: L. Thompson, M.S. Sanford, R.F. Savinell, G.A. Keoleian. Non-Aqueous Redox Flow Battery Chemistries for Sustainable Energy Storage. National Science Foundation Sustainable Energy Pathways Program. $1,750,000.
- 2015 – 2018: D. Rose, L. Bazzano, M.C. Heller, P. Hutchison, G.A. Keoleian. Linking Health and Environmental Outcomes to Dietary Behaviours in the United States. Wellcome Trust, Tulane University. $89,566 (UM subcontract).
- 2017 – 2018: M. Heller, G. Keoleian. A Comprehensive Comparison of Plant-Based and Animal-Based Protein Sources: Beyond Meat’s Beyond Burger Life Cycle Assessment. Savage River Inc. $76,668.
- 2016 – 2019 L. Liu (G. Keoleian and K. Saitou, advisors). Optimal LED Replacement Decisions and Policy. National Science Foundation (Graduate Research Fellowship).
- 2017 – Clean Energy Research Center, Clean Vehicles Consortium 2.0 Thrust Area: Systems Assessment and Best Practices - Life Cycle Assessment of Wireless Technology. Department of Energy, Argonne National Laboratory. $45,000 (2017).
- 2016 – 2018 G. Keoleian, J. Sullivan, G. Lewis. Lightweight Innovations for Tomorrow (LIFT) Core Life Cycle Assessment”American Lightweight Materials Manufacturing Innovation Institute, Department of Navy. $674,184.
- 2017– 2018: G.A. Keoleian, R. DeKleine, T. Wallington. Evaluating the Sustainability and Environmental Benefits of Autonomous Vehicles. Ford Motor Company. $215,795.
- Journal of Industrial Ecology Best Paper Prize (Heller, M.C., and G.A. Keoleian, “Greenhouse Gas Emission Estimates of U.S. Dietary Choices and Food Loss.” Journal of Industrial Ecology (2015) 19(3): 391–401) announced in 2017.
- Rackham Master’s Mentoring Award, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan, 2015
- Presented “Life Cycle Models and Metrics: the Sustainability Compass for Energy Systems, Products, & Technology” Wrigley Sustainability Lecture, Arizona State University, February 1, 2007.
- US EPA P3 Award (2006): People, Prosperity and the Planet Student Design Competition for Sustainability (Faculty co-Advisor)
- Materials Research Society Fall Meeting (2005) Best Paper for Symposium G Life-Cycle Analysis Tools for "Green" Materials and Process Selection
- AT&T Industrial Ecology Faculty Fellow (2001- 2003)
- Arbabzadeh, M., J. X. Johnson, G.A. Keoleian, “Parameters driving environmental performance of energy storage systems across grid applications” Journal of Energy Storage (2017) 12: 11–28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.est.2017.03.011
- Chiang, A.C., G.A. Keoleian, M.R. Moore, J. “Investment cost and view damage cost of siting an offshore wind farm: A spatial analysis of Lake Michigan” Renewable Energy (2016) 96: 966-976. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960148116303779
- Lim, T.H., R.D. De Kleine, G.A. Keoleian, “Energy use and carbon reduction potentials from residential ground source heat pumps considering spatial and economic barriers” Energy and Buildings128 (2016) 287–304. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378778816305497
- Bi, Z., T. Kan, C.C. Mi, Y. Zhang, Z. Zhao, G.A. Keoleian, “A review of wireless power transfer for electric vehicles: Prospects to enhance sustainable mobility.” Applied Energy (2016) 179: 413–425. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261916309448
Read more publications here.
- Committee Member, Planning Committee Workshop on Exploring the True Costs of Food, Institute of Medicine (2011-12).
- International Society for Industrial Ecology, Member and President (two year term: 2011-2012).
- President Elect (2009-2010); Immediate Past President (2013-2014).