Associate Research Scientist Kathleen Bergen, PhD, works in the areas of human dimensions of environmental change; remote sensing, GIS and biodiversity Informatics; and environmental health and informatics. Her focus is on combining field and geospatial data and methods to study the pattern and process of ecological systems, biodiversity and health. She also strives to build bridges between science and social science to understand the implications of human actions on the social and natural systems of which we are a part.
- Ann Arbor Community Foundation and Power Foundation: Research Infrastructure, Field Properties Management, and Database Development for Saginaw Forest, Administrator and Co-I with Bob Grese, 2016-2019
- USDA Forest Service: SEAS Forest Properties: Forest Research, Data Sharing and Outreach. PI Kathleen Bergen. 2015-2017
- NASA: LCLUC Synthesis: Ecosystem-Society Interactions on a Changing Mongolian Plateau. PI Jiquan Chen. 2014-2017
- NASA: LCLUC SYNTHESIS: Forested Land Cover and Land Use Change in the Far East of the Northern Eurasia Under the Combined Drivers of Climate and Socio-Economic Transformation. PI Kathleen Bergen. 2012-2017
Invited contributor to the NASA Northern Eurasia Partnership Initiatives (NEESPI and NEFI) 2003 and the 2016 science plans, and invited paper and book chapters author
Appointed member to the NASA Headquarters DESDynI Ecology Science Study Team, 2008-2012
- Gamma Theta Upsilon Geography Honor Society
Beta Phi Mu Information Science Honor Society
Xi Sigma Pi Forestry Honor Society, University of Michigan chapter
- Bergen, K., Zhang, Zhenzhen, Tyrrell, G., K. Kennedy and J. Rumschlag (accepted 2018). Mapping Forest and Surrounding Landscape Changes 1949-2015 at The University of Michigan’s Historic Forestry Education Properties.Michigan Academician (Journal of the Michigan Academy of Arts, Sciences and Letters).
- Cordero-Sancho, S. andK. Bergen. 2018. Relationships of Agricultural Land Use to an Expanded Road Network within Tropical Forest Landscapes of Cameroon and Republic of the Congo. The Professional Geographer, 70:60-72 DOI: 10.1080/00330124.2017.1325752.
- Groisman, P., Shugart, H., Kicklighter, D., Henebry, G., Tchebakova, N., Maksyutov, S., Monier, E., Gutman, G., Gulev, S., Qi, J., Prishchepov, A., Kukavskaya, E., Porfiriev, B., Shiklomanov, A., Loboda, T., Shiklomanov, N., Nghiem, S., Bergen, K., Albrechtová, J., Chen, J., Shahgedanova, M., Shvidenko, A., Speranskaya, N., Soja, A., de Beurs, K., Bulygina, O., McCarty, J., Zhuang, Q., and O. Zolina. 2017. Northern Eurasia Future Initiative (NEFI): facing the challenges and pathways of global change in the twenty-first century. Progress in Earth and Planetary Science. 4:41 DOI 10.1186/s40645-017-0154-5.
- Bergen, K., Hitztaler, S., Kharuk, S., Krankina, O., Loboda, T., Zhao, T., Shugart, H., Sun, G. 2013. Human Dimensions of Environmental Change in Siberia. Chapter 7 in G. Gutman and P. Groisman, editors, Regional Environmental Changes in Siberia and Their Global Consequences. New York, Springer. 357 pp.
- Hitztaler, S. and K. Bergen. 2013. Mapping Resource Use over a Russian Landscape: An Integrated Look at Harvesting of a Non-Timber Forest Product in Central Kamchatka. Environmental Research Letters, 8: 045020.
- Bergen, K. M., S. J. Goetz, R. O. Dubayah, G. M. Henebry, C. T. Hunsaker, M. L. Imhoff, R. F. Nelson, G. G. Parker, and V. C. Radeloff. 2010. Remote Sensing of Vegetation 3-D Structure for Biodiversity and Habitat: Review and Implications for Lidar and Radar Spaceborne Missions. Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Bergen, K., Zhao, T., Kharuk, V., Blam, Y., Brown, D. Peterson, L., Miller, N. 2008. Changing Regimes: Forested Land-Cover Dynamics in Central Siberia 1974-2001. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 74:787-798.
- Luguang J., K. Bergen, D. Brown, Q. Tian, Q. Shuhua, T. Zhao, 2008. Land-Cover Change and Vulnerability to Flooding near Poyang Lake, Jiangxi Province, China. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 74: 775-786.
- NASA Northern Eurasia Earth Science Partnership Initiative (NEESPI and NEFI) 2003-present
- NASA Headquarters DESDynI Ecology Science Study Team (2008-2012).
- NSF Workshop on Research on Coupled Ecological and Human Dynamics at Poyang Lake Basin, China, 2008.
- Workshop Organizing Committee, NASA Vegetation 3D Structure and Biomass (2007- 2008).
There is no content at this time