Error messageWarning: include_once(): Unable to allocate memory for pool. in _registry_check_code() (line 3478 of /afs/umich.edu/group/natres/snreits/drupal/includes/bootstrap.inc).
MCP, University of California at Berkeley (city and regional planning)
MLA, University of California at Berkeley (landscape architecture)
BS, University of California, Davis (landscape architecture)
BS, Miami University (education)
Associate Professor Jones' work focuses upon the issues of inclusive design and social justice and how they impact both design processes and the physical places we help to create. Through his teaching, research and writing, Jones works to clarify how issues pertaining to landscape construction, technology, sustainability, process and form can and should be impacted by a deeper understanding of how the decisions we make as design and planning professionals impact the ability of people to take part in the life of vibrant, healthy landscapes, be they urban, rural, or wild.
- 2011-2012 -“University of Michigan – Dana Hall Garden.” Funded by SNRE Dean’s Office, with BUILT PROJECTS assistance from UM Facilities and Architecture and Engineering staff. $15,000.
- 2006 -“University of Oregon Lawrence Hall Courtyard Project.” Design and construction funded through the University of Oregon Foundation and by the University of Oregon, Facilities Services Office. $30,000.
- 2006-2008 -“Policy Development in Support of Design Students With Disabilities.” Seed money to create larger project opportunity to develop university and school policy that would enhance the opportunities for students with one or more disabilities to pursue a career in a design related field. $15,000.
- 2005-2010 -“Cultural Landscape Preservation Field School.” Inter-institutional agreement between the National Park Service, Oregon State Parks, and the University of Oregon to support the development and delivery of a Cultural Landscape Field School. Co-Principal Investigator with Mark Davison. $100,000+.
- 2004 -“University of Oregon Campus Heart Project.” Design and construction funded through the University of Oregon Foundation and by the University of Oregon, Facilities Services Office. $90,000.
- Award of Honor, American Society of Landscape Architecture, Oregon Chapter. AWARDS “Education, Community Service, and Design/Build” (1998).
- Award of Recognition. Received at the Designing for the 21st Century Conference, Hofstra University, Long Island, NY, June (1998).
- Award of Recognition for Excellence in Scholarship, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (1997).
- Nominee, United States President's Service Award. “Springfield (Oregon) Millrace Park Project” (1996).
- Nominee, United Way/JC Penney Golden Rule Award for Community Service. “Springfield (Oregon) Millrace Park Project” (1995).
- Jones, S. "Design/Build and Experiential Learning: The University of Oregon Experience", in Winterbottom, D. (ed.), Building to Learn: Design/Build as a Way to Teach, Learn, and Serve, Routledge Press. Forthcoming.
- Jones, S., "Inclusive Design, Landscape Architecture and the ADA at 25 Years: Successes, Challenges, and Beyond Meeting the Code. SITES, Vol. 8, Number 3, Fall, 2014. pp. 6-9.
- Jones, S. "A Community Family Room", in Goltsman, S. and Iacofono, D. (eds.). The Inclusive City, Berkeley, CA: MIG Communications, 2008. Jones, S. "Site Construction Overview", in Hopper, L. (ed.), Landscape Architectural Graphic Standards. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley Press, 2006.
- Winterbottom, D., Jones, S., and Graffam, S. "Thinking Globally, Acting Locally: Using the Design / Build Teaching Model for Cross-cultural Dialogue." Landscape Review, Volume 9:1 (2004)
- Representative, Michigan ASLA Legislative Advocacy Day (2014).
- Member, National Task Force for Access to the Design Professions (a project of national and international scope coordinated by Adaptive Environments, Inc., and funded by the National Endowment for the Arts). Summer, (1999 - 2005).
- Regional Director (elected), Region 1, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture. (1998– 2001).