Director, China Programs; Associate Professor
PhD, Arizona State University (civil and environmental engineering)
MS, Tsinghua University (environmental science and engineering)
BS, Tsinghua University (environmental engineering)
Ming Xu is an Associate Professor in the School for Environment and Sustainability and in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His research focuses on the broad fields of sustainable engineering and industrial ecology. At the University of Michigan, he is a core faculty member in the Center for Sustainable Systems, co-directs the Graduate Certificate Program in Industrial Ecology, and currently serves as the Director of China Programs in School for Environment and Sustainability. He teaches Environmental Footprinting and Input-Output Analysis (EAS 573) and Systems Thinking for Sustainable Development and Enterprise (EAS 550/Strategy 566). He received the Robert A. Laudise Medal from International Society for Industrial Ecology for “outstanding achievement in industrial ecology by a researcher under the age of 36” in 2015 and the US National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award in 2016. Currently he serves as the President of Chinese Society for Industrial Ecology and Editor-in-Chief of the journal Resources, Conservation & Recycling (2017 Impact Factor: 5.12). He was elected to Chair the 2022 Gordon Research Conference on Industrial Ecology.
- 2016- 2020: PI, "UNS: U.S.-China: Integrated Systems Modeling of Food-Energy-Water (FEW) Nexus for Urban Sustainability," National Science Foundation, $499,990, CBET-160520.
- 2016-2021: Single PI, "CAREER: Computational Approaches for Life Cycle Inventory Database Development," National Science Foundation, $509,800, CBET-1554349.
- 2014-2017: PI, "Water Scarcity Risk for the Global Trade Network," National Science Foundation, $319,200, CBET-1438197.
- 2011-2015: PI, "Developing a Spatially-Explicit Agent-Based Life Cycle Analysis Framework for Improving the Environmental Sustainability of Bioenergy Systems," National Science Foundation, $309,097, CBET- 1132581.
- 2010-2015: Co-PI, "CERC-CV: U.S.-China Clean Energy Research Center for Clean Vehicles," Department of Energy, $12,500,000, DE-PI0000012.
- Elected President of Chinese Society for Industrial Ecology (CSIE) serving the 2018 term (2017)
- Nanova/CAPEES Frontier Research Award, Chinese-American Professors in Environmental Engineering and Science (CAPEES) (2017)
- NSF CAREER Award (2016)
- Robert A. Laudise Medal, International Society for Industrial Ecology (2015)
- Recognized for Impact in Global Education by the Council on Global Engagement at the University of Michigan (2013)
- Francois Fiessinger Scholarship, Environmental Research and Education Foundation (2008- 2010)
- Excellent Graduate Award, Tsinghua University (2006)
- Qu, S.; Wang, H.-X.; Liang, S.; Shapiro, A. M.; Suh, S.; Sheldon, S.; Zik, O.; Fang, H.; Xu, M.* A Quasi-Input-Output model to improve the estimation of emission factors for purchased electricity from interconnected grids. Applied Energy 2017, 200, 249-259.
- Liang, S.; Qu, S.; Zhu, Z.-Q.; Guan, D.-B.; Xu, M.* Income-based greenhouse gas emissions of nations. Environmental Science & Technology 2017, 51 (1), 346-355.
- Liang, S.; Wang, H.-X.; Qu, S.; Feng, T.-T.; Guan, D.-B.; Fang, H.; Xu, M.* Socioeconomic drivers of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. Environmental Science & Technology 2016, 50 (14), 7535-7545.
- Xu, M.*; Cai, H.; Liang, S. Big data and industrial ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2015, 19 (2), 205-210.
- Cai, H.; Xu, M.* Greenhouse gas implications of fleet electrification based on Big Data-informed individual travel patterns. Environmental Science & Technology 2013, 47 (16), 9035-9043.
Read more publications here.
Chinese Society for Industrial Ecology
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)
International Input-Output Association (IIOA)
International Society for Industrial Ecology (ISIE)
Gordon Research Conference (GRC)
President, Chinese Society for Industrial Ecology (2018)
Councilor, Chinese Society for Industrial Ecology (2015-2016).
Councilor, International Society for Industrial Ecology (2013-2015).