This course will enable students to do the following:
- Describe and use basic physical concepts to assess the vehicle energy use associated with different combinations of transport mode and propulsion technology. The course will include cars, trucks, rail, ocean-going ships, and aircraft.
- Describe the mechanism by which different modes of transport produce air emissions of greenhouse gas and other pollutants (e.g., SO2, NOx, PM2.5)
- Understand the drivers that determine global energy use for each of these modes of transport, and perform simple modeling exercises to estimate this demand
- Describe and use basic physical concepts to assess technologies to reduce these emissions from the vehicles
- Describe the policy mechanisms that allow regulators to compel manufacturers and operators to deploy technologies to cut pollution from these modes of transport
Offered Fall Semester
Offered Winter Semester