Dima Beletsky, PhD, has been with the SEAS Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research (CIGLR), a joint Institute between the University of Michigan and NOAA, since 1995. His research expertise lies in the hydrodynamics of lakes and coupling lake physics with biological processes. Since the beginning of his career in limnology in Russia, he has worked on hydrodynamics and climatology of several large lakes in Europe (Ladoga and Onega), North America (Lake Champlain, Lake St. Clair, Lakes Michigan, Erie, Ontario and Huron), and the Baltic Sea.
- Beletsky, D., R. Beletsky, E. S. Rutherford , J.L. Sieracki, J. M. Bossenbroek, W. L. Chadderton, M. E. Wittmann, G. M. Annis and D. M. Lodge. 2017. Predicting spread of aquatic invasive species by lake currents. . J. Great Lakes Res. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0380133017300291
Beletsky, D., N. Hawley, Y.R. Rao. 2013. Modeling summer circulation and thermal structure of Lake Erie. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 118, doi: 10.1002/2013JC008854
Beletsky, D., N. Hawley, Y.R. Rao, H. A. Vanderploeg, R. Beletsky, D. J. Schwab and S.A. Ruberg. 2012. Summer thermal structure and anticyclonic circulation of Lake Erie, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L06605, doi:10.1029/2012GL051002.
Beletsky, D. and D.J. Schwab. 2008. Climatological circulation in Lake Michigan. Geophys. Res. Letters. 35, L21604, doi:10.1029/2008GL035773.
Beletsky, D., D. Mason, D.J. Schwab, E. Rutherford, J. Janssen, D. Clapp, and J. Dettmers. 2007. Biophysical model of larval yellow perch advection and settlement in Lake Michigan. J. Great Lakes Res. 33, 842-866.
Beletsky,D., D.J. Schwab, and M.J. McCormick. 2006. Modeling 1998-2003 summer circulation and thermal structure in Lake Michigan. J.Geophys. Res., 111, C10010, doi:10.1029/2005JC00322.
- Circulation and thermodynamics of the Great Lakes
- Hydrodynamics of harmful algal blooms
- Operational Lake Erie hypoxia forecasting
- Microplastics transport in the Great Lakes
- Forecasting spread of aquatic invasive species from multiple pathways to improve management and policy in the Great Lakes
PhD, Russian Academy of Sciences (physical limnology, oceanography)
MS, Russian State Hydrometeorological University (Marine Engineering)
Member, CILER Council of Fellows (2011-2016)