Associate Research Scientist Kathleen Bergen, PhD, works in the areas of coupled natural-human dimensions of environmental change; remote sensing, GIS, and biodiversity informatics; and environmental health and informatics. Her focus is on combining field and geospatial data and methods to study these themes. She also strives to build bridges between science and social science to understand the implications of human actions on the social and natural systems of which we are a part. Over the past 20 years her USDA, NASA, and NSF-sponsored research teams have worked in locations spanning from Southeast Michigan, to northern Michigan, the Upper Great Lakes Region, Siberia and the Russian Far East, China and Mongolia, Central Africa, and Latin America.
- Bergen, K M, Loboda, T, Newell, J P, Kharuk, V, Sun, G, Hitztaler, S, Johnson, T, Hoffman-Hall, A, Ouyang, W, Park, K, Fort, C, Gargulinski, E. 2020. Long-term trends in anthropogenic land use in Siberia and the Russian Far East: A case study synthesis from Landsat. Environmental Research Letters. 15:10; DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/ab98b7.
- Benson, M., Pierce, L., Bergen, K., and Sarabandi, K. 2020. Model-Based Estimation of Forest Canopy Height and Biomass in the Canadian Boreal Forest using Radar, Lidar, and Optical Remote Sensing. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing Vol. 58 no. 12 Dec 2020.
- Krawczyk E, Hedman H, Pafilis P, Bergen K and Foufopoulos J 2019 Effects of touristic development on Mediterranean island wildlife Landscape Ecology 34 2719-34. DOI: 10.1007/s10980-019-00917-5
- Cordero-Sancho, S. and K. Bergen. 2018. Relationships of Agricultural Land Use to an Expanded Road Network within Tropical Forest Landscapes of Cameroon and Republic of the Congo. The Professional Geographer, 70:60-72 DOI: 10.1080/00330124.2017.1325752.
- Groisman, P., Shugart, H., Kicklighter, D., Henebry, G., Tchebakova, N., Maksyutov, S., Monier, E., Gutman, G., Gulev, S., Qi, J., Prishchepov, A., Kukavskaya, E., Porfiriev, B., Shiklomanov, A., Loboda, T., Shiklomanov, N., Nghiem, S., Bergen, K., Albrechtová, J., Chen, J., Shahgedanova, M., Shvidenko, A., Speranskaya, N., Soja, A., de Beurs, K., Bulygina, O., McCarty, J., Zhuang, Q., and O. Zolina. 2017. Northern Eurasia Future Initiative (NEFI): facing the challenges and pathways of global change in the twenty-first century. Progress in Earth and Planetary Science. 4:41 DOI 10.1186/s40645-017-0154-5.
- Bergen, K., Hitztaler, S., Kharuk, S., Krankina, O., Loboda, T., Zhao, T., Shugart, H., Sun, G. 2013. Human Dimensions of Environmental Change in Siberia. Chapter 7 in G. Gutman and P. Groisman, editors, Regional Environmental Changes in Siberia and Their Global Consequences. New York, Springer. 357 pp.
- Hitztaler, S. and K. Bergen. 2013. Mapping Resource Use over a Russian Landscape: An Integrated Look at Harvesting of a Non-Timber Forest Product in Central Kamchatka. Environmental Research Letters, 8: 045020.
- Bergen, K. M., S. J. Goetz, R. O. Dubayah, G. M. Henebry, C. T. Hunsaker, M. L. Imhoff, R. F. Nelson, G. G. Parker, and V. C. Radeloff. 2010. Remote Sensing of Vegetation 3-D Structure for Biodiversity and Habitat: Review and Implications for Lidar and Radar Spaceborne Missions. Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Bergen, K., Zhao, T., Kharuk, V., Blam, Y., Brown, D. Peterson, L., Miller, N. 2008. Changing Regimes: Forested Land-Cover Dynamics in Central Siberia 1974-2001. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, 74:787-798.
- Luguang J., K. Bergen, D. Brown, Q. Tian, Q. Shuhua, T. Zhao, 2008. Land-Cover Change and Vulnerability to Flooding near Poyang Lake, Jiangxi Province, China. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 74: 775-786.
- USDA Forest Service: A New Model of Climate and Forest Health Pressures on Forest Succession and Biomass at The University of Michigan Biological Station. PI Kathleen Bergen with Co-I Bill Currie. 2019-2022.
- Ann Arbor Community Foundation and Power Foundation: Research Infrastructure, Field Properties Management, and Database Development for Saginaw Forest. Administrator and Co-I with Bob Grese. 2018-2022.
- USDA Forest Service: SEAS Forest Properties: Forest Research, Data Sharing and Outreach. PI Kathleen Bergen. 2015-2017
- NASA: LCLUC Synthesis: Ecosystem-Society Interactions on a Changing Mongolian Plateau. PI Jiquan Chen, Co-I Dan Brown and Co-I Kathleen Bergen. 2014-2017.
- NASA: LCLUC SYNTHESIS: Forested Land Cover and Land Use Change in the Far East of Northern Eurasia Under the Combined Drivers of Climate and Socio-Economic Transformation. PI Kathleen Bergen, Co-Is Tatiana Loboda, Josh Newell, Dan Brown, and Hank Shugart. 2012-2017.
- NASA: Grassland Ecosystems and Societal Adaptations under Changing Grazing Intensity and Climate on the Mongolian Plateau. Co-I Kathleen Bergen with PI Dan Brown and Co-Is Arun Agrawal, Yichun Xie, and William Welsh. 2009-2013.
- NASA: A Segmentation Approach for Combining RaDAR Backscatter, InSAR and LiDAR Measurements to Determine Vegetation 3d Structure and Biomass from Space. Co-I Kathleen Bergen with PI Paul Siqueira, and Co-Is Bruce Chapman and Richard Lucas. 2009-2013.
- NASA: VEGEX3D: LIDAR-SAR/INSAR Fusion-Extrapolation and Simulation Models for Retrieving Vegetation 3D Structure and Biomass. Co-I Kathleen Bergen with PI Kamal Sarabandi and Co-I Leland Pierce. 2009-2013.
PhD, University of Michigan (Resource Ecology and Management)
MS, University of Illinois (Information Science)
BS, Western Illinois University (Geography)
- American Association of Geographers (AAG) 1997-present
- NASA Land-Cover/Land-Use Change (LCLUC) program 1998-present
- NASA Northern Eurasia Earth Science Partnership Initiative (NEESPI and NEFI) 2003-present
- NASA Headquarters DESDynI Ecology Science Study Team (2008-2012).
- NSF Workshop on Research on Coupled Ecological and Human Dynamics at Poyang Lake Basin, China, 2008.
- Workshop Organizing Committee, NASA Vegetation 3D Structure and Biomass (2007- 2008).