Professor Bierbaum, PhD, focuses her research on the interface of science and policy--principally on issues related to climate change adaptation and mitigation at the national and international levels. From 2001-2011, she served as Dean of SNRE and oversaw the creation of a new undergraduate program in the environment as well as five dual Master’s degrees across campus. She is the Chair of the Science and Technical Advisory Panel of the Global Environment Facility. She served on President Obama's Council of Advisers on Science and Technology (PCAST), as an Adaptation Fellow at the World Bank, led the Adaptation Chapter for the Congressionally-mandated U.S. National Climate assessment, and was a review editor for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. She has served in both the executive and legislative branches of the U.S. Government--as the Senate-confirmed director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy’s Environment Division, and in multiple capacities at the Congressional Office of Technology Assessment.
2002-2010: U.S. Scientific Expert, Permanent Court of Arbitration Panel of Arbitrators for Arbitration of Disputes Relating to Natural Resources and/or the Environment.
2005: Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, National Research Council, The National Academies (2002-2010) - Co-Chair, Committee on Earth-Atmosphere Interactions: Understanding and Responding to Multiple Environmental Stresses.
2006-2010: Trustee, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), 2004-2010 - Executive Committee.
2008-2009: Science Advisory Council, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
2007-2009: Michigan Climate Action Council.
- Sustainable Development Award for Use of Social Media to bring Climate Science to a wider audience (2013).
- Michigan Environmental Council’s Helen & William Milliken Distinguished Service Award (2012).
- Elected Fellow, the Ecological Society of America (2012).
- Distinguished Service Citation for application of ecology in the public welfare, Ecological Society of America (2010).
- Elected Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2007).
March 2016. Report on Independence, Technology, and Connection in Older Age, PCAST (Core member of writing team).
February 2016. Report on Technology and the Future of Cities, PCAST (Core member of writing team).
November 2015. Report on Private Sector Efforts in Adaptation to Climate Change (Co-Chair).
August 2015. Report on Federal Information Technology R&D, PCAST (only modest involvement), https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/PCAST/nitrd_report_aug_2015.pdf
June 2015. Optimizing the global environmental benefits of transport biofuels, Bierbaum R, Cowie A, Gorsevski V, Sims R (STAP); Rack M, Strapasson A, Woods J (Imperial College, London) and Ravindranath N(Indian Institute of Science, Delhi),
- U.S. National Climate Assessment - Member, Federal Advisory Committee, and Convening Lead Author of the Adaptation Chapter (2011-2014).
- Board Member, Alliance for Climate Protection (2012-present).
- (PCAST) President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (2009-present)