My research program aims to improve predictability of hazardous weather, ice, and lake/ocean events in cold regions in order to support preparedness and resilience in coastal communities. The main question my research aims to address is: what are the impacts of interactions between ice and oceans / ice and lakes on larger scale phenomena, such as weather, storm surges, and sea/lake ice melting? I primarily use numerical geophysical modeling to address my research question; and scientific findings from my research feed back into the models and improve their predictability. My work has focused on applications to the Great Lakes, Arctic Ocean, the Alaskan coastal region, and the Sea of Okhotsk.
- Saiki, R., H. Mitsudera, A. Fujisaki-Manome, N. Kimura, J. Ukita, T. Toyota and T. Nakamura. A Mechanism of Ice-Band Pattern Formation Caused by Resonant Interaction between Sea Ice and Internal Waves in a Continuously Stratified Ocean. accepted to Progress in Oceanography.
- Fujisaki-Manome, A., E.J. Anderson, J.A. Kessler, P.Y. Chu, J. Wang and A.D. Gronewold. 2020. Simulating impacts of precipitation on ice cover and surface water temperature across large lakes. Journal of Geophysical Research Oceans. 125, e2019JC015950. (DOI:10.1029/2019JC015950). [Altmetric Score]
- Fujisaki-Manome, A., G.E. Mann, E.J. Anderson, P.Y. Chu, L.E. Fitzpatrick., S.G. Benjamin, E.P. James, T.G. Smirnova, C.R. Alexander and D.M. Wright. 2020. Improvements to lake-effect snow forecasts using a one-way air-lake model coupling approach. Journal of Hydrometeorology. (DOI:10.1175/JHM-D-20-0079.1). [Altmetric Score]
- Bai, P, J. Wang, Y.P. Chu, N. Hawley, A. Fujisaki-Manome, J.A. Kessler, B.M. Lofgren, D. Beletsky, E.J. Anderson and Y. Li. 2020. Modeling ice-attenuated waves in the Great Lakes. Ocean Dynamics. 70: 991-1003. (DOI:10.1007/s10236-020-01379-z). [Altmetric Score]
- Anderson, E.J., Fujisaki-Manome, A., Kessler, J., Chu, Y.P., Kelley, J., Lang, G., CV 20190308 3 Chen, Y., and Wang, J. (2018), Ice Forecasting in the Next-Generation Great Lakes Operational Forecast System (GLOFS), J. Mar. Sci. Eng., 6(123), doi:10.3390/jmse6040123.
- Charusombat, U., Fujisaki-Manome, A., A.D. Gronewold, B.M. Lofgren, E.J. Anderson, P.D. Blanken, C. Spence, J.D. Lenters, C. Xiao, L.E. Fitzpatrick, and G. Cutrell (2018), Validating modeled turbulent heat fluxes across large freshwater surfaces, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 22, 5559-5578, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-5559-2018 (corresponding author).
- Fujisaki-Manome, A. L. Fitzpatrick, A.D. Gronewold, E.J. Anderson, C. Spence, J. Chen, C. Shao, D. Wright, C. Xiao, and B.M. Lofgren (2017), Turbulent Heat Fluxes during an Extreme Lake Effect Snow Event, J. Hydrometeorology, 18(12), pp. 3145– 3163.
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., Mitsudera, H., Wang, J., and Wakatsuchi, M. (2014), How does the Amur River discharge flow over the northwestern continental shelf in the Sea of Okhotsk?, Progress in Oceanography., 126, pp. 8-20, doi: 10.1016/j.pocean.2014.04.028.
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., Wang, J., Lofgren, B., Bai, X, and Leshkevich, G. (2013), Interannual variability of ice cover, circulation, and thermal structure in Lake Erie from 2003 to 2012, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans., 118(9), pp. 4286-4304, doi: 10.1002/jgrc.20312.
- Wang, J., C. Cao, K. Mizobata, H. Hu, X. Bai, Y. Yu, H. Eicken, M. Ikeda, W. Johnson, W. Perie, A. Fujisaki (Manome). 2013. Modeling landfast ice and coastal circulation in the nearshore Beaufort and Chukchi Seas using CIOM. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans. 119(6):3285-3312. (DOI:10.1002/2013JC009258). [Altmetric Score]
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., J. Wang, H. Hu, D.J. Schwab, N. Hawley and R. Yerubamdi. 2012. A modeling study of ice-water process for Lake Erie using coupled ice-circulation models. Journal of Great Lakes Research-Oceans. 38(4):585-599. (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2012.09.021).
- Fujisaki (Manome), A. and L. Oey. 2011. Formation of ice bands by winds. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans. 116:C10015. (DOI:10.1029/2010JC006655).
- Chang, Y-L, L. Oey, X. Lu and A. Fujisaki (Manome). 2011. 2010 Oil Spill –trajectory projections based on ensemble drifter analyses. Ocean Dynamics. (DOI:10.1007/s10236-011-0397-4).
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., H. Mitsudera and H. Yamagushi. 2011. Dense Shelf Water formation process in the Sea of Okhotsk: Sensitivity study with a highresolution ice-ocean coupled model. Journal of Geophysical Research. 116:C03005. (DOI:10.1029/2009JC006007).
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., H. Yamaguchi and H. Mitsudera. 2010. Numerical Experiment of air-ice drag coefficient and its impact on ice-ocean coupled system in the Sea of Okhotsk. Ocean Dynamics. 60(2):377-394. (DOI:10.1007/s10236-010-0265-7).
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., H. Yamaguchi, T. Toyota, A. Futatsudera and M. Miyanaga. 2009. Measurements of Air-Sea Drag Coefficient over the Ice-Covered Sea of Okhotsk. Journal of Oceanography. 65(4):487-498. (DOI:10.1007/s10872-009-0042-8).
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., H. Yamaguchi, F. Duan and G. Sagawa. 2007. Improvement of Short-Term Sea Ice Forecast in the Southern Okhotsk Sea. Journal of Oceanography. 63(5):775-790. (DOI:10.1007/s10872-007-0066-x). [Altmetric Score]
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., H. Mitsudera, J. Wang and M. Wakatsuchi. 2016. How does the Amur River discharge flow over the northwestern continental shelf in the Sea of Okhotsk? Contributions from ILTS, Hokkaido University. In Japanese.
- Fujisaki (Manome), A., 2012. Research to Restore the Environment of the U.S. Great Lakes. The Ship & Ocean Newsletter, Ocean Policy Research Foundation, No.277. In Japanese.
- Polar physical oceanography
- Numerical geophysical modeling
- Sea/lake ice and lake effect snow
Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Keio University (2004)
Master Degree in Ocean Engineering, University of Tokyo (2006)
Ph.D in Ocean Engineering, University of Tokyo (2009)